Dear Fellow Drivers,
As we approach the end of 2023, we find ourselves reflecting on the journey we’ve undertaken together and the exciting path that lies ahead. It’s with great pleasure and anticipation that we share with you the achievements of 2023, upcoming plans, and vision for the BeamMP project.
In 2023, we’ve navigated through many challenges, celebrated milestones, and witnessed incredible growth. Some key accomplishments include:
- BeamMP now has over 750,000 registered players!
- Our Discord server has reached a whopping 190,000 members!
- Over 10,000 lines of code added on GitHub
These achievements show the dedication, expertise, and collaborative spirit of our team, contributors and the wider community.
The BeamMP project is also going through one of its biggest internal changes yet – a complete restructuring of the team and the leadership of the project. Overall, we believe this is a positive and necessary change, and we’re confident that the impact of this will show throughout 2024, as we will continue to roll this change out.
As we look forward to 2024, our vision is clear: BeamMP needs a lot of improvement, a lot of work, and we’re confident we can make this happen. Some of our goals for 2024 are:
- The Docs project will make it easier for anyone to help write and update documentation and guides, creating a valuable resource for the whole community.
- The implementation of a new network protocol, which will be well-specified and easier to debug. As we build more features, we continue to hit limitations with the current network protocol, so this change will finally clear the road for some cool new features!
- Localisation - We are hard at work translating BeamMP into more languages. Russian and German translations, among others, are in progress.
- Tackling distasteful and offensive content - We are aware that there are issues surrounding such content and behaviour in-game and within our Discord. We’re already trying out a new reporting system in our Discord, and are working on reporting functionality within the game. We are also finishing up some new features for players to block offensive content in-game.
- By popular request, we are experimenting with integrating more BeamNG content, such as Scenarios and Career mode, as well as purely multiplayer content like game modes and collaborative map editing into BeamMP.
Our commitment to enabling a multiplayer experience for all will continue to drive our efforts and shape the future of our work.
We recognise the impact that BeamMP has within the wider BeamNG gaming community. That’s why, in 2024, we aim to start contributing more positively by producing more documentation, guides and content to help new members turn their ideas into creations, whether they be multiplayer-inclined or not. Without the BeamNG community, there isn’t the BeamMP community. Going forward, we will be focusing on several initiatives, including:
- More open and transparent licensing of our codebase.
- Better communication and engagement with our communities.
- Strengthening our relationships with hosting providers and developers.
- Improving relationships, especially those that have been difficult in the past, by learning from past mistakes.
We extend our heartfelt gratitude to everyone within the community for their continued support. It is the collective effort and collaboration that propels everyone forward.
As we embark on this exciting journey into 2024, we are confident that, together, we will achieve new heights and create lasting value.
Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year!
Titch, Mack and Lion
BeamMP Management, on behalf of the BeamMP Staff Team