Seeking Your Feedback on BeamMP Mod - Let's Shape the Future Together!

good day! :smirk_cat:

are yall fr rn? this is awesome!!! you guys gotta be in the beamng dev team for sure! propose your netcode to them. they’ll assign yall the “top priority” task this time for sure, for sure!! i mean… once they’ll un-spaghettify their code… anyway this will be beamng in 2013!!! :exploding_head: :exploding_head:

i hop on beammp just to drive around the same track as fast as possible and it doesnt need to be on tarmac, hey, do i say i am good in rally - yes i do, i am (1v1 me n00b)!!! im basically tryna impress 1st minute guests (it is very effective, they leave) …except i feel like im cursed the way people leave everytime i join a populated server, oh well (they tried to copy my moves and rq lmao). beammp is almost like its one of those social games, yknow, virtual spaces, etc, like vrchat but it has overcooked physics and less micspam (for now). :alien: :clown_face:

what i personally find really great is the fact that physics themselves take part in the netcode, the cars get dragged along their last ping and dont even get stuttery or stop abruptly (blobs do though)

anyway, this is what sim racing always missed - many ways to violently crumble like an overly dramatic lego explosion, except its cheap jbeamless “hypercars” (aka decrepit cars) from modland lmao. probably the only place where you can observe in person the importance of rollcages and chassis stiffness (except ppl deliberately attempt to die lol). in my opinion, sim racing needs to have more silly pepegasteer drivers in them that often flick into death wobbles or brake check on a flat. ah, magnificent, the embodiment of unprofessionalism… :weary:

but here’s the kicker, i can help you make it better:

• people have suggested and I second that: there needs to be working MP scenarios and time trials, a dynamic checkpoint system (possibly synchronising World Editor changes) as well as lap times by default (also working hotlapping UI app), and damage penalties for competitions (severity may vary on the amount of broken beams and nodes). :face_with_monocle:

• encountered issues: 1. how come a Humble Bundle copy of the game is not valid? everytime i see someone get an error code 4, you guys rush to ask “do you own the game on steam?”, well, steam isnt the only place to have games. personally i would rather humble bundle than steam in a heartbeat. besides, once BeamNG hits GOG, will you approve these copies or not? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: 2. blobs/unicycles dont appear in the dynamic reflections, making them harder to let them overtake. :snowman: 3. the “Multiplayer Session” UI app, if deleted, upon any queue event locks your camera in place. :open_mouth: 4. A literal smokescreen If a player’s tyres or a clutch desyncs - let there be a button/key to manually requeue a player. :smoking: 5. “Failed to close socket” error is amusing because firstly, its windows sockets, boomer legacy feature that the WHOLE of IT world absolutely DESPISES, beamMP got WSAEADDRINUSE 10048 for example which shouldnt even exist in the first place because, well, if you know - you know… afaik you guys code for linux but we get socket errors on windows, you should either redo your serverside from scratch or at least notify that the 4444 port may be used by torrent clients and similar p2p network software, so I propose there needs to be a prompt asking to rejoin via different client port. :pray: 6. “Recent servers” is cool but where’s a “History” tab? my memory isnt great, i dont remember whom did i kill yesterday! :woozy_face: 7. “server is full” and i press “ok”. ok, but can i not do that? there should be an option to automatically reconnect in intervals or as soon as there is a free slot (take ideas from other games!). :yawning_face: 8. is there a new launcher update? idk, i cant check! i mean i can but i have to go to github and look in releases again… :nerd_face: 9. CTRL+L (reload lua) disconnects you from a server. make beammp an exception :weary: 10. the blob colour editor is broken and i cant click on it or change any values. why even hex? make a colour picker, like everywhere else! also on the topic of multiplayer settings, there should be a “reset all” button :smiling_face: 11. ah yes the notorious “You have been disconnected from the server” popup that doesnt explain anything. it should say whether it is a client/server request timeout or the user was really kicked by the admin. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: 12. speaking of timeouts, why is it such a short time before you get “disconnected”? Where’s the harm in keeping a player with a 1000ms ping? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: 13. i realised that any lag spikes you get in the loading screen while loading players may contribute to timeouts (players ? ping ? bug) and “you have been disconnected” messages. A number 4 down below in my suggestions should fix this issue. 14. nametags scale with resolution, e.g. they disappear or become too small to be legible in VR or on 4K monitors. :nerd_face: 15. Recent “new UI” does not work with BeamMP. :sob: 16. speaking of error code 3 and 4, it has come to my attention that the players here having this issue are not aware of the consequences of having unicode characters in your windows username. this makes your AppData unreadable especially if you have migrated from win7 without reinstalling the system or have had a unicode username but you renamed the user folder, thinking it would work (DO NOT DO THIS, windows has a registry, you are basically making things harder for yourself). i lazily talk about it here, but general rule of thumb is to check that you are installing beammp (or ANY other software) on a windows account with ONLY latin characters in the username path :warning: :warning: :warning:

• quality of life suggestions (these are mostly options as toggles in the multiplayer settings): 1. list spectators currently watching me (also in third person, see no. 23). :eyes: 2. blobs (aka “unloaded or queued remote player vehicles”) as a spheroid (representing a length of a sedan; also see no. 14), as well as collision (also approximate wheel blobs). :football: 3. option to choose which/whose queue events to apply (in a non-automatic queue system; I suggest making the playerlist UI app indicate/highlight who queued an event). :writing_hand: 4. Option to not load player vehicles upon joining a server (this could potentially prevent 0x00000001 error crashes). :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: 5. automatically blobify guest player vehicles (as well as delete those already spawned). :japanese_goblin: 6. reset a player’s vehicle in the playerlist. :innocent: 7. A button or a key to undo deleted player vehicles (currently the only way is to rejoin; it’s possible in KissMP). :blush: 8. A user/player report system (on the forums and in the playerlist). :cowboy_hat_face: 9. Unicycle (snowman) player skins (customisable playermodels). :clown_face: 10. Option to not download server’s mods and join as-is. :crazy_face: 11. Option to set client networking options in the console or in the Multiplayer settings, such as client entity interpolation, sync update rate, etc. For example, this would (probably) let you see player vehicles not teleport, but instead get dragged along their last synced tick and frame. :skull: 12. Chat whisper mode, coloured chat, proximity chat, as well as clan/club/group tags. :partying_face: 13. In addition to no. 2, if a player’s vehicle is a blob, option to load only their sounds and tyre marks. :ghost: 14. As addendum to no. 2 & no. 13, more options for blobs, such as transparency/opacity, texture, shape and size. :exploding_head: 15. More options for player nametags - colour, size, font, overlapping (they are instead stacking) and vehicle information (loaded file name), speed and engine. Minecraft vibes anyone? :pleading_face: 16. In the serverlist, playerlist and session app, an ability to see server’s and player’s uptime/playtime. :star_struck: 17. In addition to no. 5, option or a key to blobify (unload or queue out) everyone (better paired with no. 7). :sob: 18. Option for an auto-disconnect timer and a reconnect button, if connection to the server was lost. :hugs: 19. Option to make blobs a vehicle (in case you can’t figure out reflective meshes; it would make more sense with the things I am asking on this idea list, such as blob/snowman reflections in the mirrors, but also see the next idea). :shushing_face: 20. Option to make blobs observable (to be able to switch to). :alien: 21. Finally, if/when blobs are vehicles and nametags also show vehicle info - let there be an option to copy a player’s vehicle even if they are a blob. :scream: 22. As addendum to no 8., filter bad usernames (e.g. hate speech). :blush: 23. Option to see self nametags (in third person). :no_mouth: 24. In addition to no. 10, option to choose which mods to download (maps, vehicles, mods of mods, etc.) :eyes: 25. Option to immediately blobify a player that changes their vehicle. :open_mouth: 26. A notification pop-up when you or someone else gets cloned (username, vehicle id). :money_mouth_face: 27. BeamMP should come with vehicle cloning disabled by default and an option to turn it on to prevent configuration stealing. :shushing_face: 28. “Safe Mode” for BeamMP, where every mod is temporary and will be deleted upon exit. :mask: 29. As addendum to no. 12, global (everywhere) and local (this server) chat tabs would be nice. :smiling_face: 30. Make a free cam position ping the same way as spectators or even blobs are. Basically show nametags for players in F8 mode. :nerd_face:

• stupid boring event ideas: 1. Unicycle (snowman) Deathrun (using level animated geometry collision meshes) - afaik BeamNG doesn’t support this as of 0.31. :joy: 2. jumping over cars as a unicycle within specified borders, if you get outside the circle/square - you lose (this can be actually quite fun this New Year). :dizzy_face: 3. Prison Break, except you are a snowman closed inside of a truck cargo, as players in stock Covets are desperately trying to stop the kidnapper. :zipper_mouth_face: 4. Vehicle building events (with limited time, same/any car, for a special stage). :red_car: 5. Level mapping events (for a theme). :night_with_stars: 6. Cannonball events (I can’t believe no one have suggested this). :8ball: 7. Air Shows, since drag coefficients in BeamNG allow for flight. It could also be the highest jump by land vehicle, if airplanes are too hard to control. :airplane: 8. Autocross, around short dirt ovals or 8’s, where the last working engine wins. Flipped? Just press F7 (see below) and off you go again. No resets! :sunglasses: 9. Rocket League, except it’s in BeamNG. I mean we have multiplayer and a ball now (with editable pressure)! :soccer:

• tips and tricks for noobs: 1. F8 or Shift+C for freecam & F7 to teleport your vehicle, INSERT key to set home spawn, R to reset. Do NOT nodegrab your car and fly around, there is an “unspoken sim racing etiquette”. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: 2. Lagging? Switch to a player (Tab) and delete their vehicle in the menu. :kissing_heart: 3. Still lagging? Remove All/Others in Vehicle Config > Debug. :wink: 4. In an attempt to unload a core, press Alt+U to hide the interface for a more immersive experience and also increase framerate (the UI occupies 1 core of your cpu, so do graphics, physics and every other vehicle). :heart_eyes: 5. Keyboard players without ABS, tune your braking force multiplier to 40-60% so that wheels dont lock up on tarmac (also use racing slick or tarmac rally tyres). :yum: 6. Never unzip mods or have them in the /vehicles folder, otherwise you will be shown as an illegal vehicle blob and/or even have your account banned. :cry: 7. Drive safely if you ever want to impress someone. :roll_eyes: 8. Don’t have a steering wheel and pedals? There is a wacky alternative that you can master! Find “combined throttle/brake” and “steering (axis/mouse)” in the Settings > Controls > Vehicle. Then play around with Driving Assistants in the Gameplay tab. Remember to unbind WASD keys! :smiling_imp: If you’re curious how a mouse setup compares to a wheel setup, you can message me and we’ll 1v1 on a track :wink: 9. Please avoid frequent tuning and spawning vehicles on a full server. :unamused: 10. Please don’t spawn vehicles in front of moving players. :relieved: 11. To see how much horsepower your vehicle has, in the UI Apps look for the “Torquecurve” module. :thinking: 12. Controller drivers, set your Deadzone Begin/End in the steering axis/mouse vehicle controls settings. You are finally free from bad driving! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

BLAH BLAH BLAH, etc etc. sorry (not) for not organising this lmao, this is my pure stream of consciousness hello hi. some of these I probably could code myself, I’m learning rust and lua, though a bit on the music branch. regardless i saw your code and its just spaghetti. you definitely need more people working on the netcode, its elementary stuff, make it cross platform also. anyway, met lots of folks in just a few weeks of time. I’d like to help you guys as much as I can but I’ve got more places to be (especially rn at my 30th edit, i gtg). I don’t have discord (i prefer not to use it) but you can contact me through personal messages on this forum if needed. do not pm me if you are a flying bus, idiot -_- yea, I think that’s about it for now! unless… actually there is another idea 1 moment… :flushed:

and btw steal my ideas. idgaf + 2 lazy to open issues on github…

Take care, drive safe, love you, be well and big ups! <3 :heart: :orange_heart: :yellow_heart: :green_heart: :blue_heart: :purple_heart:

1 Like